The Miller and Carter Mercantile Co.
J. N. Miller opened up a mercantile store in Dexter in 1873, in 1925 when it finally closed, it was known as the oldest business in Dexter. In 1878 it became the Miller and Ladd when F. M. Ladd joined with Miller in a partnership. In 1883, A. H. Carter joined the firm, then in 1892, Ladd withdrew from the partnership and it became the Miller-Carter Mercantile. It had 53 years of continuous operation until the business dissolved by mutual consent when its members wanted to retire in 1925. At it's height it employed 18 clerks and assistants and had three warehouses that were used as storage for stock. The company also had interest in a poultry operation and cotton gin.
Wooden front porch was added sometime between 1896 and 1900.
Miller and Carter Mercantile Company employees that worked on