The town of Vanduser was laid out in 1895 on land that was cleared of timber and then donated by John S. Van Duser. It became an incorporated town by 1904 and had a public school building by 1907. The school later consolidated with other small communities to create the Scott County Central District. Vanduser was like most small towns in the area, it began as a lumber town and then it became a farming town. In 1960 it had a population of just under 300 (Forister).