Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Stoddard Street
The Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Company, established in 1867, compiled and published maps of U.S. cities and towns for the fire insurance industry to assess fire risk. These can viewed on the University of Missouri Digital Library website.
In 1902, a committee of three was appointed to control the building of the bank, purchase the lot and all fixtures needed, and conduct any and all business pertaining to the creation, completion, and payment of the new bank building. Members of the committee were: J.E. Franklin, G.A. Eickholf (chairperson), and J. N. Miller. A. H. Carter was named secretary. Board of directors elected on June 23, 1902 at the first meeting: J. N. Miller (President), W. W. Norman (Vice President), Asa Norman (cashier), A.H. Carter (Secretary). Asa Norman was paid $75 a month and had an assistant. Meetings were the first Wednesday of the month at 8:00PM in the Miller and Carter store (Info from Citizen's Bank Stockholders Book, 1902).
The Citizens Bank building was built in 1903. Made of red pressed brick and stone. The interior was quarter sawed oak and marble. It underwent major renovations in 1921.
The lot was purchased, as well as the furnishings for the bank, from Miller and Carter for $2,150, plus 6% interest.
In 1955, Citizens Bank moved further up North Walnut St., In 1975 it renovated the building and added a drive through.
Bank of Dexter
The first bank in Dexter was created in 1889 by a group of Kentucky men who organized the Stoddard County Bank, D. B. Garrison as cashier. In 1891, the bank was closed (in part due to the above mentioned Kentucky men who apparently planned to steal the money) and reorganized by E. C. Mohrstadt of St. Louis. The bank was reopened as the Bank of Dexter. On February 8, 1892, the Bank of Dexter opened, it was nationalized on March 24, 1919. During the Great Depression the bank failed, but depositors were later compensated a percentage of their savings lost. The Bank of Dexter was located on the east side of Walnut St. half way on the block. In 1907 it moved to its location on Stoddard Street.
John Thomasson Photography
John Thomasson set his tent photo studio up on the lot opposite of the Iron Mountain Railroad Depot sometime around 1909. In October 1910 he bought a lot on east Stoddard and built a brick studio. By 1919, his son Bill was running the photography business and was located on the second floor of the Sherwood building above Childs' store on Stoddard Street.
The Great Snow of 1918
The temperature dropped dramatically during the second week in January, 1918. By Saturday, January 12, a new record was set when the high temperature that day did not get above -20 degrees. The next day, snow began to fall and it did stop for two days dumping thirty-five inches of snow on Dexter and the surrounding area. To make matters worse, a coal shortage followed that made matters worse. It wasn't until Saturday, January 26, that the snow began to melt. During the month of January, twelve steamboats on the Mississippi sank due to ice and snow (Weber diary and Daily Statesman).
Armistice Day - November 11, 1918
While the above photographs denote that there was an Armistice Parade on or near November 11, 1918, I believe photos to be from a later parade that honored Armistice Day. Newspapers do not mention any parades dedicated to victory in WWI until 1921 when the League of Women Voters and Women's Civic League sponsored a celebration.