Puxico was incorporated as a railroad town by 1884 with commercial and residential lots laid out the year before. Inhabitants were located long before incorporation in a nearby community located at an old ford or crossing on the St. Francis River in the eastern part of Duck Creek Township. A post office called Indian Ford Post office was established a few miles north of the ford on the St. Louis and Iron Mountain Railroad in 1867 and maintained until 1873. The name does not appear after 1873 (Davis). There are several references from Civil War soldiers of a military road that crossed the St. Francis River at Indian Ford. Puxico was named for a Native American chief that lived nearby (Puhicah).
E. L. Hawks built the first home in Puxico (changed from the name Pucksekaw, the name of a local Indian chief that once lived in the area) on September 1, 1883. By June 1884, there were two stores in Puxico. The people of the community petitioned the county to have it incorporated later that year, which it did.
Taken near Puxico, Missouri