Leora has a long history dating back to before the Civil War when it was called Toad Suck or Kitchen's Mill. The name Toad Suck comes from the steamboat era when men were described as drinking so much liquor their belly swelled up like a toad. Daniel Kitchen, the father of Col. Solomon G. Kitchen owned a saw mill at Leora when it was located east of its present location. Due to flooding, the town later moved to its present position on higher ground. During the Civil War, Castor river was wide and deep enough to handle the traffic of small steam ships that carried logs to the mill at Leora. For time before it became known as Leora in 1880, the town is sometimes referred to as Castorville. During the late 19th century local farmer and merchant, George S. White had enough influence to change the name of the town in honor of his daughter, Leora White. The post office closed in Leora in 1966.